// Updates - March 2012//
I’ve heard back from 7 schools so far. Here’s the situation:
San Francisco State University - Urban Studies & Planning
Sacramento State University - Sociology
California State University, East Bay - Sociology
Depaul University - Public Policy
Drexel University - Environmental Studies
Temple University - Geography & Urban Studies
San Jose State University - Sociology
So far, the odds are in my favor. I’m still waiting to hear back from my top choices/schools I applied to for s***s and giggles: University of Illinois-Chicago, University of California, Berkeley, and University of Southern California. Literally, I am waiting for financial aid from my current school so I can afford the application fee to apply to University of Pennsylvania LPS program.
**update: I forgot that I applied to CUNY: Hunter. The CUNY Portal website gives no information. I have no idea if there they received everything or anything at all. Basically, it just says hello and my name. But the log-in screen says to
Denied at SJSU:
I didn’t take the let down as hard as I thought I might. Moving to San Jose has never seemed like an enjoyable option for me. I like bigger cities. And commuting long distances sounds like a recipe for disaster on attending class. The denial came through an email notification to check messages at mysjsu.edu that told me that basically the whole school is impacted and they have to choose carefully. My only regret is not applying as a major other than Sociology. I think my chances would have been better as a Geography major or Environmental Studies. Oh well.
I’m not even close to making up my mind. I know the decision will weigh heavily on financial aid. Still waiting to hear back on federal financial aid from any of the schools. If offers aren’t where I need them to be then most likely I will be attending SFSU. Which is fine with me. My EFC on the FAFSA was so small and SFSU comes in somewhere at $7,000 per year for in-state tuition and fees. I’m perfectly fine with coming out with very little debt for an undergraduate degree, especially if I can keep my job while in school. I could save the debt for the graduate degree.
But, I haven’t heard back from all of the schools.
The admission decision period for SFSU is April 1st through May 1st. UCBerkeley decision date is April 27th. That’s less than four days to decide if going, that’s IF (big IF) I do get in. But yeah…if I got into UCB, I’d go there. I’m worried that if I wait until the 27th, I don’t get in, and all of the financial aid is sucked dry by that point. The CSU college system needs help. (The CA governor even dissed the CSU-system president in an interview a couple of days ago.) Then, I’m worried about what it will be like once I’m attending classes and tuition will definitely increase.
There is so much to think about.